Monday, June 20, 2016

Applying Classroom Rules and Procedures

As a future Art teacher, experience as an Art student allows me to recognize that adherence to the classroom rules and procedures is an important part of creating a healthy and safe learning environment. It is a goal of mine to create a space wherein the students effortlessly follow the rules and procedures not only for their individual learning and enjoyment of the subject but to keep everyone safe and happy. Nobody wants to be in a class wherein they feel like they are restricted and the energy is stiff and uncreative. 

From the last few readings, it makes sense that in order to get the best out of students they must have encouraging school staff, proactive discipline, consistent consequences (positive or negative), and opportunities to receive some form of a reward.

In my past education and design career, I look back and see the ways in which my teachers or mentors did small gestures to encourage my learning and personal growth, in a way this was a form of positive reinforcement (not necessarily because I did things like raise my hand, or not run around the room) but because I did something that they thought was especially great. For example, during work at the publishing house, I was on a design streak, churning out work that was exciting both for myself and my colleagues. My then-boss would give me a small token of gratitude like a very cool Art-related postcard (of an artist and their work) with a short message about the recent work. This small act created an encouraging work atmosphere that wanted me to do more.

As for the classroom, here are some examples of giving positive reinforcements:

01
Scenario: During a studio class cleanup (students would have been brief at the start of the school year the rules and procedures for clean up) a particular student cleaned up not only his table but other students tables.

Positive reinforcement:
Positive acknowledgment “Thank you for being so helpful today in clean up. I appreciate your effort.”

02
Scenario: (See flowchart.) The class is about to have a group critique on their individual artwork. It is important that students should raise their hand when they want to contribute to the conversation to ensure everyone has a fair amount of time and that no one can simply blurt out comments out of turn. A student consistently raises her hand and patiently waits her turn before being called upon.

Positive reinforcement
: At first, a ‘thumbs up’ and smile to the student to acknowledge I have seen her signal. When it is time to call upon the student, “Thank you for being patient and raising your hand. Please share your thoughts on…”

Follow up positive reinforcement:
When the student is leaving class I will quietly mention to her, “You gave great feedback during the critique today particularly about […]”

03
Scenario: An example of a classroom rule would be to “Always be ready to be open and creative.” A particular student makes a great deal of effort to do lots of research for his projects and offers inspiration to his seatmates.

Positive reinforcement
: Tangible recognition. I would ask the student to stay behind for a minute after cleanup. During this time, I would mention something such as, "I couldn't help but overhear you talking today with [...] that you are interested in [....] I think that this [...] (ex. documentary, book, song, etc. that I could email or give the student a physical object such as a CD or USB would be ideal) would be interesting to you! Here you go, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the event that a student/s are not cooperative and do not abide by the rules of the classroom, I would have to fairly give consequences to the student/s. As much as possible, the consequences that I was to give out should have some form of learning the outcome.

01
Scenario: As part of a studio class, my students would be allowed to use the special equipment materials or classrooms such as photography, ceramics, printmaking, etc. At the start of the school year, the students who want to participate in using those classrooms would have to be instructed on the proper safety and care of the classroom and equipment. During class, I notice one of my students rushes around the room at the end of class and does not put the materials back properly, leaving a tub of [...] open and mess on the floor. This is the second occurrence after being told to straighten up the area last class.

Consequence
: Overcorrection. I would tell the student that, "I know you do not have much time between classes but during cleanup I need you to leave your area spotless for the next student and the schools materials to be organized properly. Last class, I thought we addressed this issue. I'm going to let you choose one of two options: You can either be the class materials manager which means at the start and end of every class for the next two weeks, you can make sure everyone gets their equipment and puts their equipment away. Or you can be the one to help me demonstrate the rules and procedures to the new students.

02
Scenario: Two students are talking throughout their graphic design class, chatting loudly and on their phones, bodies turned away from their desktop stations. They are refusing to do any more work as the rest of the students diligently continue. From my desk, I can hear them talking, "I don't get why this is important," and, "This is so boring, I hate this stuff," or, "I don't know how to use this. Forget it, we only have 20 minutes left anyways."

Consequence: I will privately mention to the students that they need to lower their voices and that their language when discussing the lesson is discouraging to the rest of the students. This is a warning for a more severe consequence such as removing the privilege being able to sit together.

03
Scenario: A student is late to class for the second time this week, she seems out of touch and emotional but does not share her issue. She offers no explanation despite knowing the school's policy on tardiness.

Consequences
: I pull her aside and inform her of the consequences of being tardy will be reflected in her grade for that day's assignments (like Robert Mace suggests in the Reference Materials). Any after [...] amount of tardiness, the student will be referred to the guidance counselor.

Flowchart on applying consequences for the procedure:
"RAISE YOUR HAND"